Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Midnight

Over break, we checked out Savannah, GA. In preparation for our foray into this beautiful city, we listened to John Berendt's Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. The book was quite enjoyable -- pretty much all the characters (minus the narrator) were so colorful and welcoming and eager to divulge their juiciest secrets. Needless to say, I didn't meet any drag queens, society ladies, or witch doctors during my stay, but I still had a great time admiring the city and its enchanting historical houses. The food was pretty delicious, too!

Also, it never got hot when we were in the city (in fact, I had to break out my puffer jacket at night), but the combination of my impressions from Berendt's novel and the look of the city (live oaks! spanish moss!) makes me think of warm colors and overgrown greenery (not unlike a humid jungle) whenever the subject of Savannah comes up. Hence:

"Savannah Nights"